Saturday, October 18, 2008

Catching Up

My posting has been a little minimal lately...call it survivor mode if you will. Things have been going well, but very busy. I have managed to slide into a couple of movies:

RACHEL GETTING MARRIED
Great vehicle for whats-her-name/Princess Diaries chick. But the movie seems long and somewhere around the beginning of the third act even I...who loves a dark, wallow-in-family-disfunctionality movies, thought to myself. "Oh. My. God...when is this going to end?" Having said that, I still walked away going "eh, glad I saw it...B-" Yes, evidently there's a constant dialogue in my pee brain...

RELIGULOUS
Now, here's a movie I had been really looking forward to and it did not disappoint. Coming from the Buckle of the Bible Belt, I found questioning anything in the Bible or anything we were taught in church and Sunday School was looked upon as if you were either dim-witted or were already on an express train to Hell. So I really appreciate Bill Maher getting out there and asking the most "taboo" questions. And he asks questions of all faiths...he's not just picking on Evangelicals. Lots of funny moments and great use of clips to remind you not to take all of this too seriously...until the end when the movie takes a sharp turn and leaves you very depressed. Hmmm...yes, there is a montage /Bill Maher rant at the end which leaves you feeling a little bummed out. I personally give the movie an A, BUT if you are very sensitive to criticism of faith and religion, then don't go. You'll only be upset.

Next Up:
Maybe "W" although I already know what a screw up George Bush is...I'm not sure I want to re-live it on the screen. I'm afraid I may end up throwing my Diet Coke at the movie screen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home